Gordon MacPhee completed his apprenticeship as a blacksmith in Marton with A.H.Dales, establishing MacPhee Engineering in 1965. Since then MacPhee Engineering have been producing innovative, challenging engineering products that have added value to our clients businesses and fulfilled their needs.
MacPhee Engineering is a typical kiwi company; loyal to a fault, innovative, versatile and very self-sufficient. The present MacPhee Engineering premises in Rata were established in 1968 and have been extended several times. The workshop now covers 7000 Sq Ft. There is adjacent land for truck parking, bulk storage of materials and sand blasting.
Gordon lives on the property and this facilitates the carrying out of urgent after hours work if required. He holds the following licenses: Goods Service, Heavy Traffic, Dangerous Goods, Private Pilot, Firearms. Permanent staff consist of Gordon and 1 labourer, and other labour is brought in as required.
Nowadays Gordon’s role mainly involves construction and manufacturing supervision, plan drawing, liaising with the consulting engineer, employing sub-contractors if required, pricing, quoting and charging. MacPhee Engineering is located in Rata, just south of Hunterville on State Highway 1. It is 53 kms from Palmerston North, 52 Kms from Wanganui and 17 Kms from Marton. This centralised location means lower overheads, plus convenience for incoming materials and outgoing products.
The challenge of engineering a bridge to give you access to previously uncharted territory or undertake repairs on a damaged or unsuitable crossing, is never too great or too small. We work with various materials including steel, aluminum and concrete. Please get in touch so we can undertake a site inspection and move forward from there.
Whether it’s an extension of your woolshed, a standalone yarding, building from scratch or doing repairs to existing overheads, Gordon can engineer a solution for you. Covered yards eliminate the weather and ensure your yards are workable all year round. The past few years have seen sheep and cattle yard covers grow in popularity. The advantages of covered yards for improved staff working conditions and animal welfare – think heat stress and cold, are proven.
QUAD LOC has been engineered to fit most popular farm bikes. The innovative security measure ensures your bike stays secure when left unattended. The popularity of these is ever-increasing in today’s farming environment.
- Snap Lock catch for hands free locking (kick it)
- Security coded keys
- Key & QUAD LOC serial numbers held by Manufacturer
- New keys can only be obtained (from any approved locksmith nation wide) from the serial number
- Bolt protected against sawing by `hard facing’
- Strong 5mm plate construction
- Can be attached to dirt or concrete floor
- Currently seeking Insurance Council approval
QUAD LOC Series 1
The QUAD LOC is available nationally from your local Honda Dealer. International orders will incur postage & packing.
General Farm Repairs
Gordon’s vast experience has been used in various applications on farms and in other industries. Gates are popular as well as other general repairs to machinery and buildings.
Lift & Swing Gates
Standard Lift & Swing gates from a width of 1200mm/4′ up to a width of 2400/8′. Quotes given on non-standard gates and complete woolshed fit-outs.
- Gate holds position at any height and direction
- Ball bearing rollers
- Heavy duty pivot system
- Morton Slam catch
- Several catch strike plate options
- Wire cannot jump off pulley
- Painted steel work
- Galvanised pipe frames
Major Plant Machinery & Equipment Available
- Lathes – 1×300 CH 2m BC & 1×450CH x 1.500 BCi
- Guillotine: Up to 6mm plate x 2.400m
- Radial Drill: 1.5 radius
- Small Finger Folder
- Punch & Shears
- Milling machine
- Spray painting
- Welders: All types including – Portable generator welder 400 AMP
- Cormach crane: Lift 7 tonne @ 2.5m and 1.36 tonne @ 15m
- 1 scissor lift truck with detachable Cormach crane
- Trucks -1 carrying capacity 8 tonne. Deck 6.5×2.4m. Lifts to 5.5m
- 2 carrying capacity 10 tonne. Deck 7m x 2.4m. Lifts to 5.5m
- 1 Isuzu 5 ton 3-way tipper
- 1 Vio 40 5 ton digger and auger
- 1 Toyota Landcruiser VX
- 1 portable workshop which can be placed on any truck when required
- 1 Cabri G2 Helicopter which is used to attend meetings, construction sites, and ferrying staff as required